Brew Day! — 50/50 Palisade

My wife enjoys malty brown ales.  Usually reserved for the fall and winter, we happen to live in a place that when the sun goes down, it routinely will drop into the 50′s to low 60′s, even in August.  So, I decided to make a nice easy drinking, malty beer for us for when we are sitting around the fire out on the patio and enjoying the stars.

I decided to take a different approach with this then the usual brown ales, which often have some pale chocolate and some crystal as part of the grist.  I decided to make this a 50/50 beer of Best Malz Munich 1, and Briess 2 row brewers malt.  I was sorely disappointed in North American Munich malts when I made my Octoberfest, just not malty enough, so I decided to try a German maltster instead.  To get the color right, I added a touch of debittered Black malt.

The next goal I have with this beer is to try out WLP 028.  I very much enjoyed this yeast when I did my British Yeast experiment, and think it would make a great, clean house strain.  I wanted to try it out in a malt forward beer first, as that is its primary purpose, but I am going to wash this, and use it in a split batch side by side with WLP 001 to compare hop expression the next brewday.

Finally, I wanted to try .  A newer strain, they are supposed to be more English in character, so I thought they would fit well in this beer.  This beer is single hopped, so I can get a feel for what the hops will do.

Recipe as below:

5.00 lb       Munich Malt -  Best Malz 8L
5.00 lb       Briess 2 Row brewers malt
0.13 lb       Black Malt, Debittered (500.0 SRM)
1.00 oz       Palisades [8.30 %]  (60 min)              Hops         29.5 IBU
0.50 oz       Palisades [8.30 %]  (20 min)              Hops         8.9 IBU
0.50 oz       Palisades [8.30 %]  (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
1 Pkgs        Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028)        Yeast-Ale

I mashed this on my HERM’s system that I just completed.  It was nice to be able to step up to 168F for mash out.  It was mashed at 154-155F for 60 minutes, then over 15 minutes, it was brought to 168F.  I then did a fly sparge, collecting 8 gallons of 1.040 wort.  This was boiled with the hop additions as above for 60 minutes.  The aroma hops were added at flameout, I let it sit for 10 minutes, then I turned on the immersion wort chiller and the pump for whirlpool.  After 15 minutes it went from 202 F to 90 degrees (gotta love the pump/whirlpool for rapid cooling).  I then shut off the pump, let it settle for another 25 minutes while the chiller was still running, and collected the separated wort.  O.G. was 1.050, which is 75% on efficiency, pretty good, I think the recirculating during the mash helps quite a bit.

For tasting notes, please look here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: